Friday, January 21, 2011

Mirrored Walls

Mirrored walls were a big trend in the 70's and 80's. BIG. Then everybody spent twenty years tearing them off the walls. Well, wouldn't you know, THEY ARE BACK!

Several years ago my fiance and I lived in a large rental house that had a mirrored wall in the dining area. I absolutely hated it! It just screamed 1980's and at the time did not go with the decor of our home. Instead of working with it and making it look chic, it was like the giant elephant in the room. Every time I walked into the dining area I felt like I was in a gym. Oh ya, and to top it off we had wooden spindle half wall room dividers that were left over from the 70's as well. Just for the heck of it, here's what the space looked like;

I'm cringing at the fact that I am sharing this with you because there are so many decorating mistakes going on in this room! If I had it to do all over again I would paint the walls white and mix in some modern and vintage furnishings and add a large patterned rug to create a more cohesive look. We live and we learn though, right?!

So here we are in 2011 and leg warmers, brass fixtures and mirrored walls are making an appearance again! There's a right way and a wrong way to use mirrored walls in interiors. Here's a few examples of the RIGHT way;

Adding moulding around mirrored panels is a great way to create a large focal point.
via Domestic Bliss

Hanging artwork over the mirrored wall really makes this space feel inviting. I love this look!
via Elle Decor

Dining rooms are a popular place to use a mirrored wall. It's a great way to reflect the light of a gorgeous chandelier, like the one below.
via unknown

The antique finish on these mirrored walls is very chic and popular right now!
via Bunny Williams
via Lonny

via Things That Sparkle

Mirrored walls can look great in a bedroom too . . as long as there isn't lepord carpeting and a round, rotating bed!

I love the architectural element that this type of wall treatment adds.
via Unknown

Since we're on the subject of mirrors, here's a look I am really loving right now - A decorative mirror placed on top of  an otherwise ordinary bathroom mirror creates a very luxe look!
via Tricia Huntley
 
Ok, I've shown you some right ways to incorporate a mirrored wall. . . want to see a few WRONG ways? Usually I am not this mean, but it's a Friday and we can use a few laughs, right?!







These spaces need to explanation as to why they look so atrocious, I think they speak for themselves!. . . The lesson here is that a mirrored wall can look great as long as the furniture, accessories and finishes in the room ALSO look great!
Related Posts with Thumbnails